Installing Jeskola Buzz for the first time
Download the installer, run the EXE, done. Continue reading this manual for additional help. First time users might want to read Configuring Buzz and Quickstart. To install additional machines, consult the Machine Installation Guide.
Updating from a previous build (2008 builds onwards only)
Download the installer and install to the same folder. All your settings will be preserved (except for gear.xml, the installer asks if it can overwrite this file).
Updating from Old Buzz (pre 2008 builds, 1.2b)
This is for people still running the old buzz version 1.2b (for example the massive pack from buzzmachines.com).
- Do NOT install the new version over the old one. The recommended way is to install to a new folder, in a new location. Copy your essential gear, from your old Buzz 1.2b install folder, over to the new one.
- This is a good time to start fresh, think about which machines you REALLY need. Be sure to read the Essential Machines and Machine blacklist pages.
- Do NOT use the old setup tricks and tweaks with new Buzz, such as running in compatibility mode, using the fixkit etc.. These setup tricks are obsolete in new Buzz 2008-2009. They were hacks and crude fixes that should never have been used in the first place. Please, only do it with the old 1.2b exe. If your new Buzz doesn't start, the most likely reason is that some .dll files from an old installation, are in the new install's directory.
- You MUST ensure that all your effects and generators are placed in their correct locations. DO NOT put an effect into the generator folder and vice versa. You must ensure that there are no duplicate .dll files within your Gear/Generators or Gear/Effects folders.
- Make sure you used the installer and did not just copy the new .exe. Buzz needs the MSVC Redistributable and the installer makes sure it's installed.
- Make sure .NET 3.5 is installed, some of the machines that load at startup need it.
- Make sure you installed to a new folder.
Problems with individual Machines
- Use depends.exe to find out if you lack one of the required .dll (such as MSVCRT 6 or 7) and install those.
- Make sure you use the most up to date version of the machine.
- Don't use machines listed in the Machine blacklist
Opening BMX files made with 1.2b in the new builds (and vice versa)
This should work, but remember that if you later add a machine or use a feature that requires the new builds (for example: PatternXP) they will most likely not work as intended in 1.2b. Once you make the jump to the new builds, it's unlikely you would want to go back to 1.2b tough. Also note that Jeskola Mixer is gone. (there is a dummy machine in its place that has no aux sends/eq)